Are content writing tools the best bet to bring the right balance between creativity and SEO requirements in your content?
No doubt that there is an enormous demand for creative and engaging content.
Don’t believe us?
Then, you need to check out this stat by Demand Metric: Their survey says that 91% of B2B marketers and 86% of B2C marketers use content marketing.
Interestingly though, not all of them follow the same content marketing strategy. In fact, B2B marketers say that, on average, they use 12 different content marketing tactics to make their content stand out.
But then, how can content writers pace up to meet this mammoth demand without losing their sanity?
To help writers maintain content quality with productivity, content writing tools were invented. They can be utilized in every content writing scenario to elevate good content to amazing marketable stuff.
We understand that the hundreds of content writing tools available out there may make you feel mad as a hatter!
Relax, we've got you covered.
We have put together verified information about the best content writing tools in 2022.
So, are you ready to explore?
Then, here we go.
13 Content Writing Tools Every Writer Should Try
Writing quality content consistently can be a challenge even for the pros. Content writing tools help you iron out the glitches in a piece of content, making it highly engaging.
Are you a newbie eager to learn how to start a blog or a seasoned writer looking to monetize your skills? Irrespective of your mastery over the content creation process, this list of best content writing tools is a must-read for you.
So let's get going.
Image via ProWritingAid
Genuine, affordable, and super easy to use!
ProWritingAid is one of the advanced content writing tools that offer style editing grammar checks for writers of all kinds.
It is designed to check smaller pieces of content like blog posts, articles, and news to more comprehensive documents.
ProWritingAid is compatible with Mac and Windows browsers. You can easily access this editing tool while working on Google Docs or Microsoft Word and utilize live editing suggestions.
- Checking spellings and grammar
- Detect poor work choice
- Point out poor readability
- Check variation in tenses
- Highly sophisticated content writing tool
- Ease of use
- Detailed insights
- Pocket-friendly pricing
- The free version has a word limit of 500 words
- It feels like a heavy application
- It is best suited for bloggers and business writers. Many of the premium version features favour novelists and story writers. Postgraduate students or academicians can use it for polishing their dissertation papers.
- Monthly Subscription: $20 per month
- Yearly Subscription: $79 per year
- Lifetime: $399
Image via Grammarly
Grammarly is every writer's staple!
Since this content writing tool was integrated with Google Docs, almost everyone uses it subconsciously to elevate the quality of their content.
You can check grammar, punctuation, spelling, and even plagiarism with the premium version of this editing tool.
How does it compare with other content writing tools?
- It offers real-time grammar corrections
- Suggestions and explanations are easy to understand
- It allows you to customize reports
- One of the most accessible content editing tool
- Competitive pricing
- Presently available only on Google Docs
- The free version has minimal features
- This tool is meant for every kind of writer who wants to scale up the quality of their content. From bloggers to students, authors, and web content writers, everyone can use Grammarly with ease.
- Beginner to Intermediate
Grammarly offers a free plan with limited checks for grammar, spelling, and punctuation. For more advanced features like tone check and word choice options, they offer two paid plans:
- Grammarly Premium: $12 per month onwards
- Grammarly Business: Price on request
3. Yoast SEO
Image via Yoast
If you own a self-hosted WordPress site, Yoast is one of the must-have content writing tools.
It is pretty popular among WordPress users owing to the variety of advanced features it packs in.
That's no surprise considering that the company has helped more than 300,000 users master website content until now.
- Focuses on increasing page ranking
- Readability check
- Keyword optimization
- Manages technical configurations for better SEO
- Internal link-building suggestions
- Quality content insight
- It is mainly a web optimization tool so content writing is just an add-on
- Valid only for WordPress websites
- WordPress website owners can benefit the most from Yoast SEO. The free version of the plugin contains all the essential features to get you started.
- Beginner to Intermediate
Like most content writing tools, Yoast offers a freemium version.
- Yoast SEO Premium: $99 + VAT (for one site)
Additional discounts are available when you go for more websites.
Image via Reedsy
Self-publishing is picking up in popularity among authors. Reedsy is one of the unique content writing tools designed to assist writers in this endeavor.
This online author service marketplace allows book writers to collaborate with professionals for editing, design, illustration, marketing, and ghostwriting services.
It's an entire ecosystem of crafting refined books where you can hire freelancers for just about any service related to self-publishing books.
- A marketplace of professional freelancers for all services related to book writing
- You can choose the professional you want to collaborate with
- Reedsy Book Editor to simplify the content-creation process
- Reedsy Learning courses to help authors transverse self-publishing
- Not an excellent choice for bloggers and content writers.
- Still a limited pool of service providers
- No audiobook services
- Reedsy is a perfect marketplace for self-publishing authors. As one of the leading content writing tools, it not only helps you get connected with top-notch service providers but also gives access to a vast collection of resources to help you craft a wonderful book.
- Authors and freelancers decide on the cost based on the service provided. Reedsy charges a service fee.
Image via Hemingway
Hemmingway Editor is an advanced editing tool to help you stay on top of your game as a professional writer.
From detecting common writing errors to fine-tuning your SEO content writing, the tool can do it all.
You can shuffle between the writing and editing modes to instantly incorporate the suggestions into the write-up.
What's more, once you have finished writing, you can push your blog post directly on WordPress or Medium right away.
- Free content writing platform with very good editing features
- Points out common to advanced grammatical errors
- Helps streamline your content writing style
- Designed to assess the reading level of your blog piece
- Not one of the suitable content writing tools for long documents
- Focuses on a limited set of grammar features
- Formatting and organizing features are not comparable to other leading tools
- Hemmingway Editor's writing and editing features are appealing to a large variety of writers. From bloggers to copywriters, social media influencers, and ghostwriters, all can polish their written material with the help of this great tool.
- Beginner to Intermediate
- Hemingway Editor 3: $19.99 per month
Image via WebFX
How would you like content writing tools with a readability score checker?
Readability Test by WebFX is an innovative tool that helps you gauge the readability of a piece of creative content and make it more engaging.
It is powered by a set of specific readability algorithms that score your content based on sentence length, sentence complexity, average word length, familiarity, relevant keywords, and much more.
What makes Readability Test one of the unique content writing tools is its ability for text analysis, URL analysis, advanced highlighting engine, and comprehensive readability analysis.
- Checks overall readability in minutes
- Powered by proprietary ReadablePro algorithm
- Very easy to use
- An economically-priced content writing tool
- Data seems complicated to analyze
- It may not be suitable for larger pieces of content like scripts and books
- It is best suited for digital marketing copywriters. The tool makes a piece more SEO-friendly by boosting readability, grammar, and keyword analysis. Readable can also be pretty useful for researchers, journalists, and university students.
- It’s free for everyone.
Image via Thesaurus
Thesaurus is one the most widely trusted productivity tools brought to you by Dictionary.com.
Being operational for over two decades, Thesaurus is one of the earliest online content writing tools used by writers from all walks of life.
It offers grammar and writing tips to elevate your content quality.
With its help, writers can expand their vocabulary and make their writing style a lot more effortless.
- Thesaurus has a simple interface
- Checks plagiarism, synonyms, and definitions
- Works for entry-level writers
- May not have essential features like keyword analysis, readability check, and so on
- It does not offer live checking
- It cannot be integrated into Google Docs or WordPress
- Anyone and everyone who wants to write refined English content can utilize Thesaurus. As the features are more inclined towards improving the quality of the language of your content and less towards its SEO elements, Thesaurus may be an appropriate tool for writing academic content.
- Thesaurus is free for all.
Image via HubSpot
The next one in this list of the top content writing tools needs no introduction. HubSpot, after all, is one of the most sought-after CRM, marketing, and content writing tools out there.
To use the blog idea generator, all you need to do is enter five nouns in your niche.
The platform instantly generates a week’s worth of topic ideas. By entering your contact details, you can also download an excel sheet containing a year’s worth of ideas.
- Free blog idea generator
- Offers an extensive list of ideas for the nouns you enter
- You can also leverage HubSpot’s free “how to,” “infographic post,” “ newsjacking,” and “pillar page” post templates
- To access advanced features such as blog editor, keyword analysis and SEO suggestions, you will need to upgrade to a premium plan
- It does not offer readability score or live checks unlike other content writing tools
- With no annoying pop-ups or ads, HubSpot Blog Idea Generator allows you to generate blog post ideas instantly for all types of content writing projects. The minimalistic and user-friendly design combine to make the HubSpot blog idea generator one of the simplest content writing tools.
Image via Evernote
Evernote is a notes app that helps you remember everything from your everyday life.
But, what is it doing in the list of content writing tools?
You can use it for different purposes, such as taking notes, making to-do lists, and writing blog posts or articles.
As one of the best content writing tools, Evernote helps you stay more organized and productive.
- Customizable templates on multiple content categories
- Note-taking app to capture and store ideas
- Free document scanner
- Syncs with Google Calendar
- Easy to find notes based on content types, keywords, or dates
- Web Clipper to save web content
- Lacks the comprehensive features that most content writing tools offer including SEO and keyword analysis
- Does not offer content ideas
- Evernote is one of the simplest content writing tools to use and is easy to get started with. It can help you boost your productivity and get more organized. Evernote is available on all major platforms, including Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. You can use it on your computer, your phone, or your tablet.
Like most content writing tools, Evernote offers a free plan with limited storage and uploads. The paid plans are in two categories:
- Personal: Approx $5.11 (€5) per month*
- Professional: Approx $7.66 ( €7.50) per month
*Exchange rate: €1 = $1.02
Image via AnswerThePublic
The goal of every content marketer is to create highly personalized content to drive engagement, downloads, and conversions.
One of the content writing tools that helps you here is AnswerThePublic.
As a search listening tool, it allows you to discover your audience's questions on a topic. It's a great way to generate ideas for blog posts, infographics, video content, and more.
The tool works by collating autocomplete data from Google and other search engines. It then lists every useful phrase around your keyword that people are using to do their online searches.
Read about its pros and cons to know if it is one of the suitable content writing tools for you.
- Unlimited daily searches with paid plans
- Data is presented in a unique visual format
- You can get keyword ideas and compare keyword data
- Location and language-based search results
- It’s not a comprehensive content tool
- No content improvement suggestions
- AnswerThePublic is a valuable tool for content marketers, SEOs, and anyone else looking to create content that is relevant and engaging to their audience. The feature-rich tool allows you to better understand the needs and wants of your customers. This information can be used to create content that addresses the needs of your customers, or even to come up with new product or service ideas.
Similar to most content writing tools, you get a free plan with limited number of daily searches. The paid plans are across three categories.
- Free: Up to 3 searches a day
- Monthly: $99 per month
- Annual: $79 per month
- Expert: $199 per month
Image via Portent
If you're looking for catchy ideas for your next piece of content, look no further than the Portent content idea generator.
As one of the simplest content writing tools, Portent generates potential titles once you enter a few words related to your topic for your next blog post, article, or even video.
It also helps you gauge the theme’s flexibility, understand why you need to use the words in the title, and find new ideas to refine your content strategy.
An added bonus is that it is one of the free content writing tools out there.
- Minimalistic, user-friendly design
- Allows you to save the titles for quick reference
- Extensive content writing resources and advice on building your content
- Offers explanation on why you need to use each word in the suggested title
- You can tweet the content ideas
- You may have to revise some topic headlines to make it relevant and grammatically correct
- Offers only one topic suggestion at a time for a keyword
- The Portent Idea Generator is a user-friendly tool for quickly generating catchy ideas for your project. As one of the ad-free content writing tools, Portent allows you full access to its functionality without any commercial interruption. The company also offers specific tools for in-depth SEO analytics and ‘tone of voice,’ generation.
Image via StackEdit
StackEdit is a powerful, open-source Markdown editor that has a wide range of features.
As one of the useful content writing tools designed for web writers, StackEdit offers a live preview that automatically updates as you type.
With built-in file storage and seamless synchronization with Dropbox, Google Drive, and WordPress, it is easy to create and publish your content.
Take a look at its pros and cons to compare it with other content writing tools.
- Smart layout, live preview, and formattting options
- Support for Markdown Extra and other Markdown variants
- Syncs your files with Dropbox, Google Drive, and GitHub
- You can publish your blog posts to WordPress, Blogger, or Zendesk
- Allows you to embed collaborator discussions and insert inline comments in files
- Lacks an integrated spell-checker
- Does not offer keyword research, topic ideas, or SEO analytics
- StackEdit is a powerful online editor that lets you write and format text, collaborate with others in real-time, publish your work to the web, and more. A fully customizable interface and live preview make content writing a seamless experience for web writers.
- Free for all
Image via ilys
Many times, writers are unable to produce excellent work because they are afraid of poor writing or obsess over typos, structure, etc.
If you are wondering if there are any content writing tools that help you overcome your internal editor, you can give ilys a try.
‘Ilys,’ an acronym for I Love Your Stories, lets you see only the last word of what you are typing. It hides what you already typed, helping remove distractions and putting you in the creative flow.
- Cloud-based app that enables on-the-go content writing
- Centralized dashboard to access all your content and know the total word count
- Shows a productivity graph
- Ninja mode eliminates distraction by hiding the previous words typed
- Does not have the essential features of top content writing tools such as readability check, keyword research, or topic suggestions
- As one of the few content writing tools that encourage creativity, ilys has a minimalistic design and a neat interface. The tool is designed to help you silence your inner critic and let your creative juices flow. It is one of the best content writing tools for writing short content pieces in public places or while traveling.
- Free: Up to 500 words
- Membership: $11.11 per month
Q1. What are content writing tools?
A. Quality content is mandatory to engage your audience. But we know for a fact that ideas sometimes fail, taglines fall flat, and content fails to impress.
Content writing tools are software programs designed to assist bloggers, journalists, storytellers, and all kinds of content creators in churning out highly engaging content day after day.
These online writing tools help elevate the quality of a written piece and make it SEO-friendly.
Q2. Which app is used for content writing?
A. Currently, Grammarly is one of the most extensively used content writing tools by writers.
Why is it so popular? One apparent reason is that Google owns this writing tool. The edits it suggests will make your content more suitable for all search engines.
The ease of use is yet another reason why Grammarly is so popular. And then, of course, Grammarly is free!
Q3. Why are content marketing tools necessary?
A. The content writing process isn't always a cakewalk; it's a back-bending exhausting task. Content creation tools are specifically designed to make the task of writers a lot easier and stress-free.
Content writing tools help make your blog post readable, engaging, and SEO-friendly. While most tools have free versions to extensive usage, paid versions come packed with premium features to make your content exceptional.
Q4. Do content writing tools impact your SEO strategy?
A. Well-optimized content is an essential pillar of any SEO strategy. Google's complex algorithm throws a massive challenge at content writers in writing blog posts that engage the readers and impress the search engines.
That's where content writing tools work their magic. Developers build this writing software based on Google's expectations; thus helping writers produce content for search engine optimization.
Q5. How to choose an appropriate content writing tool?
A. There are plenty of good content writing tools in the market. Here’s what you need to consider while choosing a tool that helps you create content that matters:
- What is the purpose of your writing
- The writing process you follow
- The features offered by the content writing tools
- Ease of use and accessibility
- How much does it cost
There you have it, the thirteen best content writing tools you should consider in 2022.
Each of the above-mentioned editing tools focuses on elevating the overall quality of a given piece of content.
Based on the kind of content creation tasks you handle, choose the most appropriate tool and try it yourself.
Have we missed any great content writing tools in this post? Share your favourite editing tools in the comments below and help the writers community!